What’s the first thing you want to do with a new machine? Make a project, of course! When it’s something that’s been cut and waiting for weeks, that makes it even better.
I had cut this red cotton lycra Kwik Sew 3115 View B top a few weeks ago when I decided to give its “dart in the armhole” a try. This is the top front as-drafted by Kwik Sew, not as-altered by me. I don’t like this look as a top–that gaping armhole thing doesn’t suit me. I do like it as a vest, however.
Here you can see the taupe version of this top worn in that manner.
It’s interesting how versatile this pattern has been. There are 4 of this view B top hanging in my closet at this point. I wear the green and blue tops to Pilates class when it’s warm enough, and underneath things when it isn’t. The taupe and red ones can go underneath things or on top.
The new serger made short work of the top, and I was even able to use the free arm on the bindings.
There are no other projects cut, but I’m trying to work out a FrankenTop with no bust dart. This is quite challenging, but I’m hoping to get happy with something soon so I can play with my new serger some more!
Over the weekend I decided to try Kwik Sew 3115 view B without the bust darts. Why? One of the blogs I read shows what the author wears each day, and she sometimes wears pullover vests that look a lot like this top. I’ve even worn my green one in a similar fashion, but I felt the bust dart didn’t do much for it when worn with a shirt underneath.
So I traced off a new “copy” of the top with the bust dart rotated to the armhole as Kwik Sew designed it. I cut this from the taupe rayon/lycra and from a red cotton lycra which is not sewn yet. I left the shoulder dart and the curved center back seam.
I don’t like it. The armhole binding pulls in the excess, but it doesn’t curve around my body the way the darted version does. Of course it will work fine for a vest look and under things, but…
I think the alterations make for a much better top (for me, YMMV).
- back shoulder dart (on both)
- center back seam (on taupe)
- bust dart (on green)
Despite what I thought initially, I do like the neckline. I had first thought it would be too high, but it’s very versatile. I can wear this top as a shell under a jacket, as a vest, or alone and it’s great! (Never mind the trips to Pilates class that the green version has seen.)
There may be a need for a bit more center back length at mid shoulder–or perhaps a bit more Pilates to improve my posture!
In all, I cut 5 garments on Tuesday night.
- First was a plain knit top using my altered Kwik Sew 3115 Pilates top plus the sleeve from Sandra Betzina’s Vogue 8151–I redrew the sleeve cap to fit after I raised the armhole on 3115.
For some reason I just can’t get interested in the fru-fru sleeves that designers are putting on knit tops these days. I don’t know if it’s because I’m lazy and don’t want to spend time figuring it out, or what.
At any rate, I think a plain sleeve will work for one more season.I don’t really like the fabric, so I used it to try out the Franken-pattern.
- Next was a stretch lace brief from Jan Bones’ The Brief pattern. I love this pattern more than any other underwear pattern I’ve ever used. It just doesn’t go so well underneath fitted pants.I shortened the top of this one by 1/4 inch, since the previous three were a bit too long. It may need a little more shortening, but I don’t want to go too far.
It will have a white cotton jersey crotch, although the crotch lining is kinda
strange small in this patttern. One of my earlier pairs has a different lining, but I wasn’t sure that would look so good in stretch lace. After I make this one, I’ll decide if this lace is destined to become more underwear.
I certainly bought plenty for the purpose. What can I say? It was on sale at Hobby Lobby.
- After that, I cut Anne St Claire’s Bra Elite from the stretch lace. I thought about using Kwik Sew 3300 instead, but in the end I prefer the comfort of the Bra Elite.This will have white nylon tricot lining the cups and white powernet underneath the lace in the band. I’m also planning to use purchased or elastic straps. I bought a bunch of findings earlier in a Liz co-op at Fabrics and Notions.
- and 5. Finally I cut the slacks and vest from the Stretch Tiki that I mentioned yesterday.
It doesn’t take much to pin that extra fabric out and make a nicer-looking back.¬† This top also has about an inch added to the high hip, which allowed the top to fall down into its proper position.
I’ve got to thank Katharine–this top looks much neater and I wouldn’t have done it if she hadn’t mentioned it. (Thank you, Katharine!)
The pinning has been transfered to the back pattern piece and I’m ready to cut another top.¬† I’m adding sleeves to this one, which could be a whole ‘nother mess, since this pattern doesn’t offer sleeves.
Oh, and there’s a front view in the album-just click on the first photo.
View A this time.¬† This fits me very well but Brunhilde still has to model it for you, since¬† I intend to wear it underneath other clothing.¬† I was inspired to make it by Belinda’s post a few weeks ago.
I found the zig-zag method for finishing the straps to be a drag, so I doubt I’ll make this again any time soon.