Getting the tent up was the worst…

Friday afternoon saw us headed for Lake Russell where we had reserved a “deluxe” campsite. (I’m not kidding–it even had cable TV. ) The truck was so full of gear that we could barely fit in there ourselves–radio, TV, air mattresses, propane stove, you name it!

Weekend campsite

We had not set that tent up in 10 years. Mr H and I could remember no more than the fact that there was *something* that had to be done first. Of course we hadn’t a clue what the something was. We finally got the thing put together after a few false starts, and the rest of camp setup went much faster.

Once it was all unpacked, we settled in for two days of pure relaxation.

Saturday morning, after being awakened at 6am by some noisy Cub Scouts, Mr H went off fishing and I got out the Featherweight for a little cleaning and oiling. (You relax your way… I relax my way…)

Featherweight prepared for cleaning

I had brought along the older of my “twins” planning to clean it and then sew up a doll for this fall’s Cloth Doll Making group challenge. I cleaned and oiled the diminutive darling, disassembled the tension, and then put it all back together. So pretty, so petite, it sat there inviting me to sew with it. I threaded it up, wound a bobbin, and pushed the foot pedal. Guess what?? No workee…

It would make about two stitches then form a bird’s nest on the bottom side. That usually means a threading problem, but not this time. Nothing I did would correct the problem, and let me tell you, I tried!

Rule #1: When you want to sew at camp, be sure you bring along a known-good, working machine.

(Of course there were other projects in my box, so I was not without something to do.  You can see what tomorrow.)

Once I got home on Sunday, I took a look at the other twin and immediately saw the problem. It was as obvious as the nose on your face.

There's the problem

When I removed the needle plate to clean and oil underneath there, I had allowed the little finger to flip downward. Of course I had not put it back in place when I reinstalled the needle plate.

Fixed!

Once that little finger (surely there’s a technical term) was back in place, the machine worked like a charm. Of course I was home by then.

Now I’ve got to figure out something to sew with it. The Bernina might be a little lonely for the next few days!