This one’s got to go into the magic closet for a while. Then, it may come out and vanish quickly into the Goodwill truck. Right now I can’t see myself wearing it, but I’ll reserve judgement until later.
I had fun making it and will review at PatternReview soon. Other people need to see what they are getting into with this. It’s really nice to have photos of real people wearing these designer patterns if you are considering sewing one.
The line drawing, while giving me a good idea of what to expect, didn’t really drive home the sack look of this garment.
My stamping on this dress turned into stenciling, which was a blast. I had purchased a couple of Linea by DMC stencils on clearance a few weeks ago. They are (apparently) designed to penciled onto fabric then stitched. I’ve gotta say, they work pretty well with paint!
The paints were the same ones I used on my stamping projects, and I applied them with the same bit of upholstery foam. I had to be a little careful about the paint bleeding through. Thank heavens I practiced on scraps, so I knew that ahead of time!
You’d be surprised how many different elements you can get out of one stencil sheet.
I used three areas of the same stencil for different effect. The lower portion of the stencil was my main motif, but I was able to tape off various areas to get something that looked entirely different. In the photo where I’m leaning toward the camera, you may be able to make out the section that looks like a brooch. That was the ends of two of the motifs. Then, I took half of that, which looks something like a heart, and put it on the collar.
Of course I used the full motif, as-designed, several times.
When I review this at PatternReview, I’ll put a link in here. There were several alterations that need to be considered on this dress–especially if you are built like me. I missed one of them, and boy am I sorry now!