Last week I spent a few minutes whipping up two different elastic waist pants patterns. I happened to have enough gray polyester suiting for both trial pants.
First up was McCall’s 6568, whose straight leg style and patch pockets had appealed to me from the first time I laid eyes on it. I chose to use a full elastic waistband rather than the pattern’s prescribed drawstring.
(I can assure you that I will not wear this, or any, top tucked into them!)
I thought it was pretty funny that the front and back patch pockets were two different sizes. (That would be funny strange or funny annoying.) I had to make two different pressing templates for them.
The front pockets were larger than the back pockets, which was another strange thing to me. I once read an article that said the bigger the pockets, the smaller your backside looks. Why would you put smaller in back?
Next time, all pockets will be the larger size for various reasons.
I wore this pair on Saturday with my Eureka top. I used my matching inifinity scarf as a belt, thusly
Bottom line, I like the pants a lot. They drape nicely, and will make up perfectly in linen.
The second pattern I tried was the Tessuti Laura Pant. This is a narrow ankle pant, a style I have never worn. I *did* wear this top tucked with a belt–some loops would be nice.
Below you can see the pants on their own. I followed the pattern instructions for the elasticized waistband, which I don’t particularly like in this fabric. I wish I had used my usual method of quartering the elastic and serging it to the top of the pants.
I sewed the XXS in this pattern, which equates to an 8 in their other patterns. I measure XS (size 10) at the waist, so I cut my elastic to that length. Using the XS elastic with the XXS pattern made the waistband more comfortable but less bulky than if I had cut the waist on the XS line.
This pattern is another winner in my book. The instructions were very easy to follow and illustrated with clear photographs.
I’ll be sewing it again soon, but I’m not sure about using either of my two linen fabrics. It may make up fine in linen, but it seems to me that it would do well in something a bit more firm. I’ll definitely be trying more patterns from Tessuti after this.