Project: Knit Top
Pattern: Jalie 2805
Size: V with rounded back alteration
Fabric: Rayon or bamboo lycra knit
Yay!!! I sewed something!!! And it’s wearable!!!
Pretty good, considering that I haven’t made anything wearable since last April. The v-neckline kinda tested my resolve and almost made me throw the thing in the trash, but I ripped and overcame.
It was a good project to get my feet wet, especially since I had to use all my machines–sewing machine, serger, and coverstitch. The sewing machine was only used to stay-stitch the V, but that counts.
The coverstitch, being my newest and least-practiced machine, was the biggest challenge. Naturally I went back and reviewed Debbie’s tutorials before I even tried it. I managed to coverhem it without too much angst.
Best I can tell, the only alteration I made to the pattern was a small one for rounded back. The good news is that my back isn’t as rounded as it used to be. Now that I don’t spend 40+ hours a week hunched over a computer or 3, I’m standing straighter.
I usually change the sleeve caps, but didn’t on this pattern. I almost always slide the sleeve cap forward 1/4 to 3/8ths inch to make it more anatomically correct. It really surprises me that I did not do that here. The sleeve I cut is the regular symmetrical one that Jalie uses, where the front is exactly the same as the back. You could put either sleeve in either armhole provided the fabric was the same on both sides. Amazingly, I’m happy with it.
I took a photo of the back, and it shows the need for work on the shoulder area and swayback. The sleeve caps look fine. Very interesting.
It’s funny how clumsy I felt doing this top. I have another cut just like this one, so I’m hoping to breeze through it now that I’m practiced up!