Project: Twill vest
Pattern: McCall’s 5186
Size: 12 altered
Fabric: Tobacco cotton twill
One of the things I enjoy wearing in the winter is a vest. I have two zip-front vests, one in brown corduroy and the other in red fleece, that I wear constantly. Since I had a fair amount of the tobacco cotton twill left from my recent jacket project, I decided to create a new vest from the remnant.
I didn’t have a vest pattern that suited me exactly, but I had one that was close enough. McCall’s M5186, now OOP, is your standard fitted button-front vest with armscye princess seams and fake pocket welts. It was what I wanted, except that I wanted this one to be straight across the front hemline and longer in back with real pockets.
The inner-engineer had no problems with those changes, so it was a simple project.
Since that photo is dark, Brunhilde consented to model for you. I didn’t bother to button it on her, as I don’t plan to button it when I wear it though with the state of my waistline these days I probably should!
I think you can see that it is quite fitted–I sweated that a little last night, but today it is very nice! (Lesson: Don’t fit at night!) I also topstitched at the edge and 1/4″ away on all the outer edges.
My vest (but not the pattern’s vest) is lined to the edge with a mystery-fiber animal print.
I’ve got one more item cut from the tobacco twill. It’s another pair of pants from McCall’s 6361. I don’t plan to wear any of the three pieces together, though I won’t rule it out at this point. All should extend my wardrobe considerably as each coordinates in some way with almost everything I have. I even like the vest with the pink shirt Brunhilde is wearing!