Project: Winter Coat
Pattern: Simplicity 2311, View A
Size: 12, altered
Fabric: Double-faced wool from Gail K’s last year
My goal for today was to install the under collar and finish the sleeves. The sleeves still need a little bit of work, but I’m calling my goal met!
The under collar was a piece of cake. Luckily sewing through the bed sheet version prepped me for doing it “live and in color” so to speak.
The bed sheet version of the sleeves, OTOH, did nothing to help me with these! Virtually no easing was required on the muslin. This thick wool was totally different. Necktie interfacing saved me–that’s another trick in the Palmer-Pletsch Jackets for Real People book, which I’ve also seen Peggy Sager do.
(I just realized that I haven’t tried the coat on with the shoulder pads, and the sleeve length is perfect as-is. Hmm.)
At any rate, the sleeves are in. Mostly.
I did find buttons at Hancock’s, thank goodness. They had quite a nice selection–much better than JoAnn’s. These cost more than I wanted to spend, but considering what I’ve already got in this coat–and how much more I like it than I thought I would–they weren’t too much.
Though I wanted a sew-through button in shell or plastic, I think these metal shank ones look nice with the coating. Here they are on the sleeve:
My goal for tomorrow is to sew and install the lining, then finish the coat. I’m pretty sure that it will be too warm to wear the coat on Sunday, but I really want to get it ready for any cold weather that may come along later.
Plus there are plenty of simple projects wanting to be made! I think I need an apron.