These photos were taken early Saturday before we left for Mama’s house. The outfit was a breeze. Fun to wear, fun to make, and garnered some compliments though no one but Mama asked me if I made it.
I mentioned on Thursday that there were a couple of things I could tell you about this, and after wearing it all day Saturday, I’ll say that one of them was definitely a problem. It’s hard to get on and off.
The opening only goes to the waistline and though they gave you a little extra length with the overlapping fronts, it’s not enough. Now perhaps I’m a little more clothing-claustrophic than the average person due to my early traumatic experience with the rusty zipper, but I struggled to get the thing up and over my shoulders each and every time I needed to, uh, well, go.
It would not be too much trouble to design some sort of opening that went down further, perhaps closing with a hook at the waistline. I’ll let you decide whether or not that’s worth the effort. The dress, of course, would not be a problem.
Another issue for me was the length in the torso. I am quite short through the torso, and I did not shorten this pattern there because I thought I would be able to shorten it as I sewed. That would have been possible had I been willing to rip out the elastic casing after I had already installed it.
I was not.
The pattern has you use 1/4″ elastic sewn into the 5/8″ waistline seam. I shortened the pattern a bit by sewing a 3/4″ seam there and using 3/8″ elastic.
There was a bit too much length in the bodice, but the part that bothered me most was the excess crotch depth. To correct that, I topstitched the casing down to the pants after sewing it and getting the elastic right. This made the bottom of the casing ride at my waistline and put the pants in the right place. It increased the bodice blousing, but not too much and I needed the length to get in and out of it.
Finally, I shortened the pants by two inches. Even with my skinny legs, I notice the narrow width at the bottom when I sit. If you plan to shorten the pants, you might want to cut them off at them hemline rather than the higher up as I did, or put a vent at the hem.
Oh, and one more thing. I applied my happy crotch curve to this pattern, as usual. Don’t expect your pattern to have this lovely shape. LOL!