And there you have it!

New Frankie ShortsNew Frankie Shorts

New Frankie Shorts

Frankie as shorts.  Easy peasy and ready for summer’s last gasp.

There was, natch, one little problem that I only realized *after* I had cut my altered pattern from a suiting remnant. Instead of taking 1/2″ out of the back crotch length as a wedge, I took it out across the entire back. That mistake, of course, shortened the side seam as well as the center back seam.

Those side seams have to match, as I well know! Fortunately I had enough of the remnant to cut another back after I fixed the problem.

One more pair from some other scrap and I’ll be done with shorts for this summer.

End of Summer Blues

While not exactly sitting idle, I’ve been in something of a creative funk lately. I haven’t wanted to do much of anything, and the summer heat hasn’t helped any. Vanessa has been fun, but I’m stalled out on her, too.

The good news is that I need some new shorts to finish the warm weather.  I had not planned to sew any warm-weather clothing, but when I pulled my drawer open the other day I found it sorely lacking!  That has piqued my interest and inspired me to clear the bits and pieces off the cutting table.

I’m still loving my Frankenstein (aka Frankie) pants, and I’ve had plenty of opportunity to analyze the fit as I’ve been wearing my three pairs almost non-stop this summer.

One thing I noticed was that they didn’t come up to level in the front, thanks to the ice cream storage facility just below my waist.  In back, they sagged a bit and the front tried to borrow from there to cover things.  I definitely still enjoy the elastic back and haven’t missed the back yoke eliminated from Frankie #3.  I have missed the back pockets, so I may want to install some on future efforts.

Today I got the pattern out and turned it into shorts.

Frankie Shorts pattern

I made some more tummy room at center front and reshaped the flat front waistband to accommodate fullness there.  Next to redistribute the crotch length, I shortened the vertical length of the back by 1/2″ and added an inch to the crotch tip.  I added 1/8″ to the front tip.  This gives me a bit more than the 27 1/2″ I need for total crotch length.

I made the inseam 4.5″, which seems to be about right for fairly modest around-the-house shorts.

There are a couple of remnants laying around that I can cut these from.  At the end of the season I hope to have a couple new pairs to put away for next year.

 

New Pants. But not for me.

Pants

So at this point Vanessa has legs, a tail, hair, and pants.

I wish you could see her better.  I have a wonderful workspace, but it is difficult to get any sort of casual photograph that doesn’t leave her face in shadow.

I’ve been working on her hair for the last few days. I had in mind a wispy look and used some white fur to make a wig.  After that, I colored it here and there with markers.  It’s not sewn on yet in case I want to do anything else to the face.  Once I’m satisfied with the face, I’ll spray it with fixative and sew down the wig.

The clothing goes on after that.

The green check came from stash, and this afternoon I made a run to the nearest quilt shop and found a batik for her shirt.  Now that I’ve settled on the batik, I can get a move on!

 

Rippppppp!

Legs

When I got the legs done and started to sew them onto my new doll, I realized that all you would ever see was the back of her.

Think about it.

A doll on her stomach, unless you display her on a high transparent shelf, will be viewed from above.  She’d make a cool photo if you got the camera angle just right, but photos just aren’t as satisfying as looking at the real thing.

For display on my doll shelf, Vanessa needs to be sitting.  Fortunately the legs being bent at the knee meant she could become a shelf-sitter very easily!  The difficulty was that the head and the body were already sewn into a belly-down position.

You know that’s no problem for a sewing woman. We buy our seam rippers in bulk!

Repositioning

To position her on her stomach, you include some weight in the lower belly.  (Mine is a small bag of pebbles.) I’ll have to say, I didn’t like having to rip open her belly to reposition the weight.   That seam has a lot of strain on it and there’s a risk of making holes in the fabric.  Unfortunately she’d never sit up straight with the weight pulling her forward.

We’ll see how it goes when I finish the restitching.  She’ll have on clothes, so if I have to patch things it won’t show.

They call me ‘Vanessa’

IMG_2147

With summer weighing me down and the need for new clothes nonexistent, I found a baby troll to work on when I’m feeling sewy.

According to a note I bought the class in 2011, though it apparently has been expunged from public record since then. I can tell from the class materials that the doll class was called Aubrie & Averie, but the name of the author is nowhere on the lessons. Nor is there a finished photo of the doll.

<sigh>

I did find a copyright notice by SHawkey on the pattern, and am guessing that this was designed by Shelley Hawkey.  I would love to see some finished photos, as I only vaguely recall what this will look like when completed.

Fortunately my lesson files are all here, so I’m pressing on!

As usual I am falling more in love with this little mite the more I work on her.  Her head was mostly done when I found her again, so I’m working on her body and putting things together as time permits.  It’s great fun!

And to think, a few days ago I was thinking of donating all my doll supplies.